Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Look at the birds of the air..."

Birds have intrigued me for a long time (just ask Rebekah King ;) ). Maybe it comes from when I was young and every time I was asked the question “If you could have any superpower in the world what would it be?” – I always answered flying. I wasn’t interested in being stronger than everyone in the world, having x-ray vision, or having my own theme music that followed me wherever I went (although that would be pretty cool), but instead I wanted to fly – and I wanted the freedom that came with it.

When we were living on Whidbey Island, we’d watch the seagulls outside carry tiny clams high into the air, drop them on the sand, and then swoop down to see if they’d cracked open. Everyday over breakfast we’d watch them do this. As Tim and I were struggling with waiting for God to provide for us, we were reminded of Matthew 6. And birds became a reminder of God’s faithfulness in providing what we need.

“Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat of what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?”

This little bird came and perched on the power lines outside our apartment yesterday and I was reminded of that verse. This morning I was discouraged about finding work for myself, and the same bird came back and sat on the power line while I was journaling, a symbol of encouragement and a reminder to me that the Lord is our provider, and I need not be anxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment