Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Trees Past and Present

Tim and I went to pick up our Christmas tree yesterday afternoon and, in "typical" Seattle fashion, it began to rain as soon as we left the house :) It honestly hasn’t rained much since we got here – I’m pretty certain I used my umbrella more when I was in Wheaton. I’m also convinced that Seattleites just tell everyone it rains a lot so they don’t move here too… I don’t blame them. Nevertheless, yesterday it rained. But we still returned from the local Christmas tree lot victorious with an adorable apartment-sized tree.

Waking up this morning to an apartment that smelled of evergreen made me smile. It also brought waves of memories of Christmas trees past – my family used to go shopping every year for a real tree, each one bigger and better than last year’s, to the point where we bought one that was entirely too tall and we had to chop off the top of it once we arrived at home and found it to be scraping the ceiling. The real-tree phase lasted until our doggies decided that the tree must be for them – an indoor toilet for their own personal use! So then we moved on to the three-piece artificial tree that my brother and I would drag down from the attic every Christmas. But we still had to avoid decorating the bottom third of the tree – ornaments=doggy chew toys. Just a couple Christmases ago my family was too lazy to even put up the fake tree, so the day before Christmas, when we spotted a sad looking Charlie Brown tree at the local grocery store, I insisted we buy it. It was only $2.50 after all.

Trees are slightly more expensive here than in North Carolina on last minute sale, but our little tree is bringing a lot of joy to our apartment!






No comments:

Post a Comment