Saturday, June 5, 2010

Alternator Adventures

This week has been one huge adventure in learning about DIY car repair. When I found out last week how much it'd set me back to have my alternator replaced I decided (with much encouragement from my dad) to tackle the installation myself. I sort of wish I had a photo of each auto-savvy person's face when I told them what my plan was - none lacked skepticism. What is a little blonde girl doing attempting to replace her alternator?! But I was determined. Just gotta take out the two bolts and the belt right? How hard can that be? Hah! I was okay until the part when Nicky Teeter told me I'd have to move the whole engine to get the final (mind you, incorrectly installed) bolt out. I was not built for such a job. So I returned, tail between my legs to the guys at Gearhead, whose offer I originally turned down to fix my car. One cut with a Sawzall and one new bolt later, we were back in business! Todd at Gearhead let me help him finish the installation (skinny arms DO come in handy for reaching in between tiny spaces under the hood!) and he didn't charge me a penny.
I guess sometimes it is worth it to try and do things on your own to save some money. But I'm learning that it's more important to set your own pride aside and know how to ask for help when you need it...

Sarah gets photo credit for this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment